Your privacy is important to Wellington City Council. This privacy statement covers our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. It has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights, as set out in the Privacy Act 1993.
At times we may amend the statement in response to developments in our services or privacy best practice.
What kind of personal information we collect
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, email address, telephone numbers, and gender. It may also include information on your use of our services or facilities and any other information provided by you through your communications with us.
When we collect your information
We may collect personal information about you as set out below.
When you or someone acting on your behalf provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- correspond with us in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages, or other means of electronic communication
- use any of our services or facilities, including signing up for and using our online services and apps, such newsletters or service updates
- follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
We may keep a record of any information you acquire from us.
How we use your information
The personal information we collect from you, or someone acting on your behalf, may be used for any of the following purposes:
- To provide you with services or facilities – including those you have requested and those our Council Controlled Organisations provide to you.
- To confirm your identity – this is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or provide you with information you have requested.
- To respond to your requests, enquiries, feedback, or for customer care related activities.
- To provide you with information about our (or our Council Controlled Organisations') events, news, services, or facilities we consider may be of interest to you.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- For any specific purpose that we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected.
- For general administrative and business purposes.
Keeping your information secure and accurate
We take reasonable steps to make sure personal information is:
- protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access – we give restricted access to individuals who need personal information to help us perform our duties and obligations
- accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
- All information collected will be held by Wellington City Council, 101 Wakefield Street, Wellington, with submitters having the right to access and correct personal information.
Sharing your information
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- any person engaged by the Council to provide products or services to you on our behalf, where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those products or services
- Council Controlled Organisations, in order to assist with the functions and services they provide
- a third party, if we are required to do so under laws or regulations, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations.
- any person you authorise us to disclose your personal information to
- any person, if that information is publicly available, e.g. information held on property files or the rating information database
How long we hold personal information
We may retain all personal information we collect (on both our active systems and our archive systems) for as long as administratively necessary, in accordance with the Council’s information retention and disposal schedule.
The Public Records Act 2005 requires us to retain “protected records” indefinitely. In some circumstances, your personal information may be included within a protected record, including submissions you make in relation to bylaws, annual plans, and district or regional planning instruments.
Who you can contact for further information
If you have any queries or concerns about this Privacy Statement or personal data Wellington City Council has collected, we are happy to respond or investigate. Please contact us using one of the methods below.
Wellington City Council Principal Privacy Officer
Postal address: PO Box 2199, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
For more detailed information about our obligations and your rights under the Privacy Act, you can refer to the Privacy Commissioner's website or call the Privacy Commissioner’s enquiry line: 0800 803 909.